Chief Administrative Officer
Birch Hills County - Alberta
Birch Hills County Alberta is a beautiful community located in the Central Peace Region and bordered by the Peace and Smoky Rivers. The core of their employment comes from the Oil and Gas sectors, yet it’s a wonderful spot for agriculture, industrial and commercial operations as well. With a population of 1600 stretching over almost 300,000 Hectares of area, the rural nature of this community offers an amazing blend of country residential and farming properties that call Birch Hills County home. Within 5 hours of Edmonton, and all its amenities, Birch Hills County is a unique setting for anyone looking for a blend of the great outdoors, and a great place to call home.
For a more detailed understanding of Birch Hills County please feel free to review their website: www.birchhillscounty.com
Chief Administrative Officer
The role of CAO in Birch Hills County is one that will call on the best skills of leadership, staff and community engagement and a personal drive to see the community reach its goals and subsequently the goals of the ideal candidate as well. The CAO will direct the overall planning, co-ordination and control of the business affairs of the County. Ensuring that the by-laws, policies and procedures of the County are complied with by subordinate staff. The demands of the role will see a CAO effectively and efficiently managing the development and direction of a number of direct reports (5) as well as providing oversite to the staff compliment across the county (22) including operations and administration teams, driving revenue growth, ensuring technical excellence and quality standards across the county, promoting high quality resident satisfaction and building partnership and relationships with community and external, stakeholders, suppliers and new streams of community revenue.
This role will be well suited to a proven professional who truly isn’t afraid to roll up their sleeves and get the job done, and done, for the betterment of the team and the community. The ideal candidate will bring a solid understanding of the role of CAO and will have 5-7 years of increasingly responsible public sector administration experience to offer to Birch Hills County.
The ideal Birch Hills County, is the one who can Lead while learning the intricacies of this established and vibrant community, while providing a strategic approach to enhancing the region through engaging economic development potentials and maintaining the day to day operational structure while working to enhances core of the community and it’s infrastructure.
This role will Report directly to the Council of Birch Hills County.
Will be responsible for the direct management of:
(a) Executive/Legislative Assistant
(b) Director of Corporate Services
(c) Director of Public Works
(d) Director of Agricultural Services
(e) County Fire Chief
1. Recommends goals, objectives, policies and programs to Council. Arranges for an annual review of these matters by the Council.
2. Provides advice to Council and its committees on all matters pertaining to the operation of the County. Ensures that the Reeve and, as appropriate, Councilors are informed on issues impacting the County.
3. Is accountable for the implementation and monitoring of the bylaws, policies and programs approved by Council; evaluates and recommends changes as required. Reports on these issues at least quarterly, or as requested by Council. Has responsibility for the direction and/or undertaking of the following functions:
(a) economic development initiatives,
(c) coordination of FCSS grants and programs,
(d) development officer, and
(e) coordination of subdivision applications.
4. Coordinates all departmental activities; recommends to Council any necessary changes in the duties or authority of departments. Ensures that regular management team and staff meetings occur.
5. Directs the development of budgets and establishment of financial controls. Works with the Director of Finance in coordinating budget information. Monitors the reserves and investments of the County. Ensures that overall revenues and expenditures are within the Council-approved budgets.
6. Within established personnel policies and budget guidelines, hires, suspends or terminates all staff except those appointed as department heads (Director of Finance, Director of Public Works, or the Director of Agricultural Services, County Fire Chief); recommends the hiring/dismissal of department heads to Council.
7. Endorses agenda recommendations and submissions, including background documentation, for Council and Committee meetings. Attends and monitors the coordination and the scheduling of Council and Committee meetings. Coordinates and monitors actions resulting from Council and Committee meeting decisions. Reviews all correspondence prepared for the Reeve's signature.
8. Represents the County, or delegates representation, at meetings with senior administrative officials of municipal, provincial and federal governments to ensure a full understanding of the issues affecting municipal districts and counties.
9. Establishes, promotes and maintains effective relations with and between staff and elected officials, and works to enhance that relationship.
10. Undertakes duties prescribed by the Municipal Government Act unless this responsibility, or specific duties, are delegated by the Chief Administrative Officer.
11. Ensures that the Reeve is adequately briefed on all relevant matters at all times, particularly in advance of meetings with other jurisdictions. Ensures that Council is properly briefed on proposed AAMDC resolutions.
12. Performs other related duties as may be requested by Council or as delegated to its committees.
Qualifications and Experience
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. A proven experience of 5-7 years in the leadership within the public sector administration realm
2. A strong strategic focus in terms of working with Council to act on an existing operational model, and implementing that model within the context of the County
3. A desire to see your potential unleashed in helping to build new pathways to growth and revenue generation within the County and ensuring that he existing and new infrastructure will be maintained and enhanced as needed.
4. A proven background in the day to day management of teams, and most effectively, teams in varied divisions of the same corporate structure
5. A will to find the right path to a successful solution, even when challenges present themselves.
Education and/or Experience
1. A bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in a related field such as public administration or business administration or extensive relevant experience
2. Experience in the leadership and day to day oversight of administrative and operational teams ranging from 12-30 is desired
3. A strong sense of how a community can find value in external relationships to see enhanced growth and revenue streams achieved, and the will to diligently work towards that goal in the context of the role of CAO
If you, or someone you know, would like to start a confidential conversation about this opportunity, please contact:
Philip J.W. Smith | Senior Partner
Ravenhill Smith Search Inc.
Telephone: 1-888-447-5910 xt 714
Email: (Subject line reading: “CAO, Birch Hills County”)